NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A New Cloth Diaper


For those of you who don't know - Cloth diapering no longer has to include pins, folding and everything that it used to entail. They have come up with many new diapers - most of which fasten in some way with velcro. It is now easier than ever to use cloth.

Now, admittedly it is more of an investment at the onset however if you are commited and follow through - the savings certainly are great! it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. You can have the best of both worlds here AND save money.
With my daughter (my first born), I had all sorts of grand notions of using cloth diapers exclusively. We invested in Kushies cloth diapers. We purchased them at the Kushies Outlet (555 Barton Street, Stoney Creek, ON L8E 5S1 Phone 905 643-9118 ) and they were really inexpensive. We used them off and on however I found that they were bulky and when she wet - she had the wet cotton sitting on her skin until I changed her. They were a great introduction to cloth diapering, but for us - it wasn't a great success. I think it was partially due to the diaper but a lot to do with the fact that when it was just Chloe and I - we were out a lot visiting and I wasn't really that committed.
~
My son was born in August and I decided to give cloth diapers a try again. I recouped the money we spend on the Kushies by selling them on Kijiji and invested that in the BumGenius 3.0 diapers which I purchased from Mom and Baby Boutique. They have a wonderful retail store in Brantford or you can purchase them online. The diapers are pricey and a substantial investment so I only purchased 2 to try them out. They worked wonderfully so I purchased more! So far, cloth diapering with John has been a great success and I attribute a great deal of that to the fact that we are at home most of the time! If we do go out, I still use disposables but that amounts to only a few diapers a week versus a package+/- a week!!
~
~
About the bumGenius 3.0 Diapers:
It is a ONE SIZE diaper (10 lbs +/- up to 35 lbs)
It has snaps on the front which make adjusting the size a *snap*
(haha!) and has a soft outer shell which is still waterproof. The thing I like best is the terrycloth insert which seems to wick the wetness away and into the center so it isn't sitting next to baby's skin. It comes with two inserts, a baby and a toddler however you can use both together in the diaper if you have a heavy wetter. You can wash them in hot water and dry them in the dryer. It has some bulk to it but what diaper doesn't? John is wearing these however My daughter wore one to bed the other night and it fit her great and was absorbant enough for her. She just turned 2 and yes, she still goes to bed with a cup. So I believe that these are a great investment and I wish that we had used these with Chloe. I am sure that our cloth diapering would have been more of a success with her!

Bummi's Trainers:
They also make a training pant which isn't too bulky, has a comfortable, covered elastic waist & leg holes and is waterproof. Chloe is doing super with potty training however there are still occassional accidents - especially when she gets busy with something. These are the perfect solution. We use disposables when we go out since they are much more absorbent however at home - these are all we use. We tried a few others and these are the best! They are a real money saver since pullups cost more than diapers!

So if you are committed, spend most of your days at home and are able to invest a little up front - cloth diapering will pay for itself in savings quite quickly. If the initial investment is too much, try looking for an outlet in your area or if you have something like Kijiji or Craigslist perhaps you can get a deal there.
~
I recommend giving cloth diapering a try!


My Sweet John-John in his BumGenius3.0


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling