NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Best Carrot Cake - and frugal too!

We were at the store the other day and I saw a deal I couldn't pass up. For some, maybe it wasn't a great deal but to me it was! I purchased 10 pounds of carrots for $2.99. Now what to do with them?!?
We had some with our dinners all week but my dh isn't that crazy about cooked carrots. I peeled a bunch and made carrot sticks ready for snacking but my two year old doesn't seem that interested :(

Now what?

Ina Garten (a.k.a. Barefoot Contessa") has a fabulous recipe in her cookbook for carrot cake cupcakes. Here is my adapted version. It is SO good! DH loves it!!!

Yummy! Carrot Cake Mini Loaves
Makes 6-8 mini loaves

1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/3 cups of oil (olive, vegetable or whatever you have)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
18 oz grated carrots
1 1/4 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line the bottom of your loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
Beat the sugar, oil and eggs together in a bowl until light yellow. Add vanilla.
In another bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and then add the raisins, nuts and carrots.
Fill your mini loaf pan about 3/4 way full.
Bake for 10 minutes at 400 then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 +/- minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.

You can frost these with a basic cream cheese frosting but my husband prefers it plain. If you do not frost it, it's a delicious and frugal loaf to make if you get a greal deal on carrots!

1 comment:

  1. This is the best carrot cake Toby will be so happy I know have the recepie!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling