NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

mmm…Fool-Proof** Scalloped Potatoes

potato 

Photo by Dr. Hemmert

This scalloped potato recipe is compliments of my Aunty Pat in Sioux Lookout. She impressed me with it last summer when we went to visit her and was kind enough to share it. The sauce is so basic, versatile and produce great results every time!

SAUCE:

  • 3 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 Cups Scalded Milk

SCALLOPED POTATOES

  1. Wash and Peel 6-7 medium potatoes. Slice thinly. Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a buttered dish (we actually use several individual dishes). Sprinkle with 1/2 a chopped medium onion.
  2. Same as step one above for the sauce. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the potatoes
  3. Cover another layer with potatoes and remaining onions and 1/2 the remaining sauce.
  4. Place remaining potatoes on top and cover with remaining sauce. Make sure all exposed potatoes have sauce spread on them.
  5. Bake uncovered at 375 deg for 1 hour or until done and lightly browned on top.

Bonus Recipe:

BAKED PASTA

  1. Melt butter in saucepan and slowly blend in flour, sale and pepper. Gradually add hot milk and stir constantly until it thickens.
  2. Melt in grated cheese if desired.
  3. Boil pasta until just before done, take out and put in oval dish and mix in the sauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of breadcrumbs and some Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake for about 30 minutes. If necessary, put under the broiler for the last minute to crisp up the top.

TIME-SAVING TIP:

Make extra sauce so that you have have the potatoes one night and the pasta the next!


MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us for TMTT this week. I love scalloped potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a son who loves this type of potato but I normally use box with this recipe I can make homemade

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the way my mom makes scalloped potatoes...such a simple, delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scalloped potatoes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delish. I hope you'll swing by my recipe exchange too. I shared a yummy baked flounder recipe and love collecting other inspired ideas:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts-baked-flounder.html

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling