NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oh, Pickles!!

IMG_3547

After posting I Can, You Can? I took a week off. I froze raspberries, strawberries, canned peaches and I made pickles for the first time ever! I am so pleased with the fruits (or vegetables LOL) of my labor. The pickles taste wonderful and the peaches look great (haven’t tasted them yet) I made both dill pickles and a whole lot of sweet Gherkins.

Everyone in our family loves Gherkins but they are $2.99-$4.99/395ml here. At that price we don’t eat a lot of them. That is sad since they make a nice snack with cheese and crackers or as an addition to lunch for an extra vegetable serving. Yes, I know they have quite a big of sugar in them but since we eat very little processed foods or snacks, it isn’t an issue for our family.

With this recipe at the most it costs me $3.00/liter and with the discounted baby cucumbers I got this past weekend at the farmers market ($10/bushel!) they are costing about $1.00/liter!Amazing and so yummy. They are easy to make but a little time consuming as well.

Easy,  Week-Long Gherkin Pickles (Completely worth the time!!)

  • 8lbs of baby Cucumbers
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Vinegar
  • Turmeric
  • Pickling Spice (2 tsp)
  • Cloves (1 tsp)
  • Celery Seed (1 tsp)
  • Cinnamon Sticks (1 or 2)
  • All Spice (1/2 tsp)

Day one: Rinse cucumbers. Boil approx 24 liters of water, add 1/4 cup salt. Pour over cucumbers and let sit overnight.

Day two: Drain, rinse and repeat above.

Day three: Drain, rinse cucumbers. Boil 4 cups of vinegar with 3 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 tsp of turmeric. Put other spices into a spice bag (cheesecloth, whatever) and boil in the vinegar mixture. Prick cucumbers in many places, pour boiling mixture over top of the cucumbers and let sit overnight.

Day four: Drain, reserving liquid. Bring remaining liquid to a boil adding an additional 1 1/2 cups each of sugar and vinegar. Pour over cucumbers and let stand overnight.

Day five: Drain, reserve liquid. Bring liquid to a boil with an additional cup of vinegar and two of sugar. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 8 hours. Drain, reserve liquid, bring to a boil, adding an additional cup of sugar. Remove spice bag.  Pack cucumbers tightly into hot jars. Pour liquid over them leaving 1/4 inch headroom and process in a boiling water canner for approx 10 minutes.

IMG_3549

6 comments:

  1. My grandma used to make pickles all the time -- that was one of my favorite parts of visiting her. I've only made refrigerator pickles, but these sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cool!! I think it is great that you do all this canning and then share your knowledge with us!! Thank you.Happy TMTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! You sure worked hard on your week off! We've had a very cold/wet summer and there wasn't much to can or freeze this year, so I especially enjoyed your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew you put cinnamon in pickles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! I am always scared to make pickles because my dad made some when I was a kid and they were horrid!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mental note to self: Plant cucumbers next year! What kind do you recommend for pickles? We'll only eat dill pickles.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling