NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Diaper Doodie – My Essential Gear!

I am a happy cloth diapering mama! With baby #2 that is. With baby #1, I gave up quite quickly and want to share with you what works for me when it comes to cloth diapering!

Stay Home

In hind sight, I think one of the reasons that my first cloth diapering attempt failed miserably was that I didn’t stay home. I don’t mean that I worked outside the home but simply that we had so many play dates, activities, places to go, shops to visit etc. that I wasn’t home enough to make it work. And it does take work. Not a whole lot once you get into the hang of it but it will be additional work for you.

Find cloth diapers that work for you!

  • There are tons of options when it comes to cloth diapering. Simple Mom did an awesome series on it earlier this year: Cloth Diapering 101 which talks about the different types available. It’s important to understand that not all cloth diapers work the same way with all babies. Many companies have a FAQ sections which can help you determine which ones will suit your needs.
  • I used some AIO diapers with my daughter (my first) and didn’t like the amount of time it took to dry them as well as the bulkiness of them.
  • When I was pregnant with my son, I read a blog review of BumGenius 3.0 diapers and went out to buy some immediately. I have been using them ever since and a year later, they are still in fabulous condition with no odors, stains or leaks. I am very happy with them.
  • I was privileged to do a review of the Fuzzibunz diapers as well. You can read the full review here but in summary: I love these diapers too! The snaps ensure a comfortable yet snug fit, they wash well and they work for many different body shapes!
  • Some retailers have a trial program such as Ottawa Cloth Diapers.
  • Some retailers such as For Baby with Love also offer a selection of gently used cloth diapers as well.
  • Many retailers also  offer a assorted sampler package with a variety of different types to try.

Get the Right Gear!

Many cloth diapering sites have reviews by customers and there are plenty of mommy blogs out there with product reviews on them. Read up and research! See what works for other moms to help you decide on what you think will work for you! I‘m going to share with you what some of the items that help make cloth diapering really work for me.

I use:

Tomorrow I will share with you how I put all these products to good use in my cloth diapering system! I also have a few fun giveaways here so be sure to enter!

Do you have a super dooper cloth diapering accessory to rave about? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! The right diaper makes all the difference. For me it's fitteds with covers. I LOVE Mother-Ease!!!! They are a bit expensive, but they are a work horse of a diaper. I got mine used (having gone through 2 children already) and they're still as strong, soft and absorbent as the first day I got them. They've never leaked either. I'm not too crazy about AIOs, I know they're convenient but they don't fit my gut too well. It's trial and error.

    http://crispy-not-crunchy.blogspot.com/2009/09/works-for-me-wednesday-sorting-laundry.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my BumGenius pocket diapers! I tried their AIO's but, like you said, they took too long to dry. My son is now 8 months old, and I've tweeked my system a few times as his diet changed. I LOVE flushable diaper liners. They're my new best friend! I just recently added a little basket (originally for organizing a drawer) to our changing table area -this is for putting the 'filled' liner in as I'm changing him. After I clean my hands with Purell, I take the basket to the toilet and just dump it in. My hands stay clean and there's no mess!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling