NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Monday, September 28, 2009

Preserving Fruit & Peach Raspberry Crisp

I didn't think to take a picture the day I made it. This is the leftovers from the fridge several days later. It looks so much more impressive hot from the oven :)

Summer and harvest time in Southern Ontario starting to wind down! Vegetables and fruits abound with the farmers markets overflowing with the ripe bounty. I mentioned earlier that I made my own pickles for the first time ever. They turned out wonderfully. We've also been preserving fruits.

Berries:
This summer we purchased flats of strawberries and raspberries which we simply cleaned and froze individually on baking sheets. We then transferred in to large ziploc bags to store for future use. I wanted to make jam but I haven't yet. I was thinking I could use the frozen berries to make jam at a later date. Any jam makers out there with a tip?

Peaches:
We purchased 6 x 3L of peaches and I attempted my first ever peach canning and chutney-making. It went amazingly well and not so well, respectively. Oh, I was delighted (with the canned peaches that is. They chutney was...hopeless LOL)! When we drove through Niagara Country on our getaway last week we purchased another 33+ liters of peaches and I got straight to work. We now have about 40 liters of canned peaches. Mmm! Wondering what recipe I used? A very simple one using a simple syrup from Pick Your Own.

We still had many peaches left and this past week had a couple different peach desserts. One of my favorite being:

Peach Raspberry Crisp
  • Approx 10 peaches
  • 1 Tbsp Orange Juice
  • 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Cups Flour (+ 3 TBSP)
  • 1/2 Pint Raspberries
  • Pinch Salt
  • 1 Cup Oatmeal
  • 1/2 Pound Cold, Diced Butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Butter an oval (10 x 15 x 2.5") dish.
  2. Immerse peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds then into ice-cold water.
  3. Peel and peaches and chop into hearty pieces.
  4. Add OJ, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 brown sugar and 3 tbsp flour. Toss then gently mix in the raspberries.
  5. Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar , salt, oatmeal and also butter in mixer until butter is the size of peas and the mixture is crumbly.
  6. Put fruit into dish and sprinkle crumble on top.
  7. Bake for about an hour or until bubbly with a browned top.
  8. Best served warm. If not serving right away, refrigerate and simply pop into the oven for 20+/- minutes before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Lisa@BlessedwithgraceSeptember 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

    That sounds wonderful!!!! Have a great week. Thanks for participating in TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://carvercards.blogspot.com/September 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

    They sound great and the berries look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great combo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peaches are sweet and the raspberries are the tiniest bit tart...goes really well together and with the fruit and oats - it could almost be a breakfast food LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll keep a copy. :)

    Take a coffee break...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that is one terrific combination!! love both peaches and raspberries!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling