NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

TUT: Scatter-Brained and Easily Distracted!

Heart-2A Google search of 'Tune Up' revealed the following definition:
An Adjustment for Better Functioning
A search of 'Adjustment' revealed the following:
A Small Change, A Minor Correction, A Modification

What is Tune-Up Tuesday? Find out more HERE!

I am washing the dishes and I drop the cloth on the floor. I bend down to pick it up and notice the floor is dirty, I wipe the area but notice that the whole floor could use a wiping. Now I need a fresh cloth to wipe counters so I take one I used on the floor to the laundry room but on my way there I notice that my dining room table is covered with everything I dumped on it when we got home the night before. I start dealing with that but then hear that the washer has just stopped, so I go to move it to the dryer only I have to empty the dryer first, while I am doing that, the doorbell rings. I go to answer the door and notice all the little handprints on the window of the door. After closing the door, Chloe says she needs to go potty. We go there and while in there I think that I should give the bathroom a quick wipe. I go to the laundry room to get the supplies and remember about the stuff on the dryer. I pick it up and carry it up the stairs to my room where I go to put it on the bed. But then I realize I haven’t yet made the bed. So I put the laundry on the floor and start to make the bed only I then decide I should change the sheets…

To be honest, that is a bit of an exaggeration but principle really is true of me. I go from one thing to the next because it seems that everywhere I go, there is a task needing my attention. I have a planner I love: The Beautiful Life Management System by Graceworks. It has helped me make a Housekeeping Schedule (Check out Homemaker Barbi’s posts). With everything that has been going on in the past few weeks I haven’t been using it. Though I wouldn’t go as far as to say that our home and my life is chaos, it has been more bumpy than usual.

Without a clear plan, I am easily distracted and overwhelmed with the number of tasks that I have. Within my planner is structure and within structure is freedom.

This past week, I have been working on returning to my dear planner.  Giving each day a task or a set of tasks and allotting an approximate (reasonable) amount of time in which to accomplish them. I know what I have to do, and I do it.

The results: a feeling of accomplishment and freedom to enjoy those fun summer adventures with my littles free from the guilt of undone tasks.

EMAIL 003 

I know that whatever task I haven’t done today will have it’s day at some point. This idea isn’t mine and it isn’t new…in fact Jennifer mentions it on an audio workshop that comes with the planner. I highly recommend it!

So this week’s tune-up wasn’t a major overhaul or a cleaning frenzy of my home. It wasn’t to whip my entire home into shape (which is more up my alley but wouldn’t stand the test of time). It was simply to decide which tasks were priorities and schedule them into each day. Then to not move about from task to task, hoping to accomplish it all – for I can’t! Just to accept my limitations, and work within my ability!

It is amazing how a simple adjustment: planning my tasks, made such a difference.

Have you fallen by the wayside in planning?

Did you accomplish something in the past week that has helped you, your family, your schedule or your home function better? Link up or leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling