NOTICE: I don't live here anymore!


Please visit me at http://www.beautifulcalling.ca/

Thanks to April, I have a fabulous new look and a big thank you to Flibby Pie transitioned me to Wordpress!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Good Food, Great Memories: Home Made Pizza Crust

Growing up in a small town in Northern Ontario where a pizza cost a fortune, we made our own. I loved it because it was so fun “decorating” the pizza and mom always let us drink the pineapple juice. Here is the recipe from my childhood. It is even better eaten cold the next day. My DH doesn’t like the recipe as it is a very bready crust and not traditional at all but I just love it. We made it a few weeks ago when DH wasn’t going to be home for dinner. I invited my parents over. What a fun time. I’m thankful for good food and good memories of growing up!

Easy & Delicious Pizza

  • Sugar
  • Yeast
  • Water
  • Flour
  • Salt
  • Onion Salt
  • Pizza Sauce
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • Toppings (onions, pepperoni, pineapple, mushrooms)
  1. 1 tsp sugar and 1 pkg of yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water - Dissolve and let stand for 10 minutes.
  2. Mix in 2 TBSP large, 2 TBSP sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp onion salt and 3/4 cups lukewarm water.
  3. Then add in 3 cups flour.
  4. Let rise for 30 minutes covered and away from draft.
  5. Knead a few times, shape into ball and cut in half. Spread each out on a cookie sheet creased with lard.
  6. Put on sauce and toppings. (We use pepperoni, onion, canned mushrooms and pineapple. Up north produce was expensive and we grew up only using canned mushrooms for the pizza. Living in southern Ontario now, we have an abundance of fresh produce but I still loved canned mushrooms on this pizza! I also like diced, not sliced pepperoni. Blame it all on my mother!)
  7. Bake at 400 deg F for 15-20 Minutes (could take longer depending on your pan and oven)
  8. Remove and add Mozzarella cheese and bake another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted nicely.

IMG_1003 (2)

We finished off the night with a story. I actually have a much better picture but mom is in it and I think she’s a bit camera shy so I thought I’d just put dad up instead. He won’t mind!

This post links to Gratituesday, Mouthwatering Mondays, Tasty Tuesday,and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday since it seems to go with them all.

4 comments:

  1. Homemade pizza is just the best. Cheaper too!
    vickie@ cooking with vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had homemade pizza last night! I like putting tomatoes, feta, pesto and grilled chicken on one half, and traditional toppings on the other for variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the sweet family moment as well as the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just love making (and eating) homemade pizza. Great memories and great food!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by April Showers for Beautiful Calling