Photo by TangoPango
I had my little ones H1N1 vaccination appointments booked last Monday; the first day that they were available. After some thought, prayer and discussion with my DH, we cancelled the appointments for now. We have some concerns about side effects, long term risks, lack of information and such. I say, ‘for now’ because, as with everything, we try to make the best decision with the information available. As more information becomes available, it is always wise to reconsider isn’t it?
After DH and I decided to wait and see, I was on my knees praying for the safety of my little ones. Just because ‘everyone’ seems to be doing it and ‘they’ say it will help doesn’t mean that it is the right thing to do for us. We love our children greatly and want to protect them in any way we can but, at this time, we just didn’t have a peace about it.
John-John has been teething and, regardless of what my doctor says, my little ones run low-grade fevers when they are cutting teeth. This morning at 3am when I nursed John and realized he had a fever, my heart immediately skipped a beat as H1N1 came to mind. I gave him some Motrin and he went back to sleep. I did not. I worried, then I began to pray.
Romans 8:28 came to mind.
Losing Isaiah wasn’t something I would have chosen for my life, but God not only knew it would happen and allowed it to happen, but he used it for His Glory and to help refine me. It hurt and it still hurts because I loved little Isaiah, though I had never officially met him yet. Having been privileged to have John and Chloe, I can not imagine life without them. But I know that each day, somewhere, parents lose children and God, in His infinite wisdom allows it to happen. Why? I shared some of my thoughts on that here but the real answer? I don’t know. We live in a fallen world but God is still in control. He is loving and good; truly good and not limited to our understanding of goodness.
I say that because whether or not my littles have been vaccinated, they can still contract H1N1. Regardless of what I do, or don’t do, if the Lord chooses to call one of my little ones home to Him, my actions will not matter. DH and I made the decision we felt was best for our little ones at this time, and our best (as meager as it is) is all we can do when raising our little ones. Then we leave in in the Lord’s hands and pray for His grace, mercy and protection for our little ones. After all, he loves them (and us!) so much more than our minds can fathom!
And for the record, I was able to sleep after that and this morning, I am pretty sure John-John is just teething as his fever is still a very low grade one with no other signs!
What did your family decide about vaccination or what helped you decide? Has H1N1 been to your home? When sharing, please be respectful of others’ opinions and feelings.